If my adult son moves in, will I lose my housing benefit? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

If my adult son moves in, will I lose my housing benefit?

missjdee Member Posts: 2 Listener
hi I'm claiming PIP and was wondering if my son who is 23 if I move him back in with me will it effect my housing benefit? as he works ? I was told that because I claim the lower rate of PIP he wouldn't habe to contribute to my rent ? will I loose my housing benefit ? 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @missjdee welcome to the community, I have moved your post to the Ask a Benefits advisor category so I hope you can get some answers soon 
    Senior online community officer
  • missjdee
    missjdee Member Posts: 2 Listener
    oh thank you .. sorry I'm new and bit lost here 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello missjdee

    If you are claiming PIP-daily living (at any rate) then your housing benefit will not be effected by your son moving back in with you.   It is however best to still tell your local authority that your son has moved in.  

    You have not mentioned any other benefit income e.g. ESA? I ask as other benefits maybe effected by your son moving in, especially if you claim an extra amount called a 'severe disability premium.' This premium is generally paid to people who live alone, receive PIP (daily living) and no-one claims carers allowance for looking after them. The best advice is to inform all the relevant benefit offices if your son moves in. 

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.