PIP or attendance allowance which? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP or attendance allowance which?

sue66 Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
Im 66, 67 in February. ive been receiving DLA  for a few years low rate care and middle rate mobility. Waiting for the brown envelope to  apply for PIP, Dont hold out much hope of getting any points at all as my ailment is M.E., hard to prove, not on any medication or under any consultant. Due to my age im wondering if it would be worth applying for Attendance allowance instead of PIP or they both just as hard to get for this ailment?


  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 603 Pioneering
    Attendance allowance doesn't have a mobility component.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    When you are assessed for PIP, now that you are over retirement age, the mobility component that you accept will be the one that you carry forward provided that you continue to meet the criteria.
    By this I mean
    If you accept the standard rate you will not be able to receive the enhanced rate in the future even if your needs change
    If you don't receive the mobility component then you you cannot receive it in the future
    So for anyone in this situation, consider carefully what you will accept or fight for.


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,308 Pioneering
    So what happens if you are 66 and have standard rate Daily Living. Can you get higher rate on review in 2 years time.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    This is from AgeUK fact sheet 87, page 11

    If you are 65 or over
    You cannot normally start to receive either rate of the mobility component after the age of 65, although you continue to receive it if it was awarded before your 65th birthday. If awarded the standard rate of the mobility component before you reach
    65, you cannot move to the enhanced rate if your needs increase after you reach
    If awarded the enhanced rate of the mobility component before you reach 65 and your mobility needs reduce to a level that qualifies for the standard rate after 65, you can move to the standard rate (and back to the enhanced rate if your mobility needs increase again within a year).
    If you are over 65 and receive the mobility component and you start to have daily  living needs or your need for assistance with daily living increases, you can ask for a supersession and qualify for the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component in the same way as those under 65.

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,308 Pioneering
    Thank-you @CockneyRebel so at my review in 2020 I'll be able to fight for what I should have had this year higher rate of Daily Living. I'll also hopefully have proved my assessor lied by then..
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi sue66,

    You are better off completing the PIP paperwork because as advised above, there is mobility component for AA, whereas you will get the mobility component for PIP if you are awarded it and your needs started before you turned 65.

    Hi wildlife,

    The rules kindly stated above by CockneyRebel only apply to the mobility component. Regardless of your age or when you apply, you can always be assessed or reassessed for the daily living component when asked to by the DWP, or when you notify them of a change of circumstances.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.