Home aids - where do I get help? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Home aids - where do I get help?

Katalyst Member Posts: 1 Listener
My partner has Parkinson's Vascular She needs aids in the house to move around and getting into bed and ramps to allow getting outside Where do I get help please


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Katalyst welcome to the community.

    Speak to your GP if you need equipment at home or to help you get around. They can tell you about local sources of help or refer you to your local Social Services or NHS.

    You can buy your own equipment, but a social worker or occupational therapist can help make decisions about the equipment that would be most helpful. Decisions about the kind of equipment you may need will often be the result of an assessment of your care and support needs.

    You may also be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant if you need to adapt your home to make changes for a disabled child. This grant can help pay for adaptations such as building safe play areas, installing a stairlift, widening doors or adapting heating or light controls.

    If a local authority needs assessment has concluded that you need this equipment, it should be provided free of charge. Minor adaptations costing £1,000 or less – which includes the cost of buying and fitting the adaptation – are also provided free of charge. Councils can make a charge for minor adaptations that cost more than £1,000 to provide.

    Larger, more expensive items may be classed as adaptations and will be the responsibility of the housing department and provided through Disabled Facilities Grants.

    You can find out more on the NHS site here.

    I hope this helps :)

    Senior online community officer


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.