Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Will ESA be affected by being a carer in my home?

shaniah64shaniah64 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I just had a visit this morning from the city council reagarding my spear room,my son is now my full time carer and has moved back home to care for me .. They said my claim will be updated and rent will be paid not sure what that means !!! They wanted to see the latest copy of my sons ESA letter which I had .. Will his ESA be affected do you know plz help Thankyou 


  • GeoarkGeoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,375 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @shaniah64 and welcome to the community.

    From your post I would guess that you were on housing benefit with a deduction for a spare bedroom, unless the council agreed to make discretionary payments. As your son is back home and on benefit the full payment for rent would be payable.

    How the move might affect your son's ESA I suspect would depend which form of ESA he is on and if he is moving to a full Universal Credit service area. I would suggest reposting this question to the Ask A Benefit Advisor section. https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-a-benefits-advisor for a fuller answer.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Sign in or join us to comment.