Will ESA be affected by being a carer in my home? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will ESA be affected by being a carer in my home?

shaniah64
shaniah64 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I just had a visit this morning from the city council reagarding my spear room,my son is now my full time carer and has moved back home to care for me .. They said my claim will be updated and rent will be paid not sure what that means !!! They wanted to see the latest copy of my sons ESA letter which I had .. Will his ESA be affected do you know plz help Thankyou 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @shaniah64 and welcome to the community.

From your post I would guess that you were on housing benefit with a deduction for a spare bedroom, unless the council agreed to make discretionary payments. As your son is back home and on benefit the full payment for rent would be payable.

How the move might affect your son's ESA I suspect would depend which form of ESA he is on and if he is moving to a full Universal Credit service area. I would suggest reposting this question to the Ask A Benefit Advisor section. https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-a-benefits-advisor for a fuller answer.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.