Capita went to the wrong house and are now closing my claim! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Capita went to the wrong house and are now closing my claim!

debsidoo
debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
Hi.First time poster here. Need help with a question.
Capita were supposed to pay me a home visit yesterday but failed to show.On contacting them it appears they did come out,but to the wrong house.Description they gave me on the phone didn't match mine.
Now they are saying they have closed my application down as I was a non attendant.Can they actually do this?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debsidoo

Welcome to our site & "Online Community"

It's great to meet you this "evening"

I do hope that your day has been ok ???

I'm "Very Very Sorry" that you find yourself in this sitiuation !!!

We have got "Benefit Advisors" here on our website.

I think that we should ask for there "Expert Advise" "ASAP

I will copy them into this "Message" as they will get it the same time as you.

Hi @TheBenefitsTrainingCo

Can you please look into this post for me as soon as you can ???

Please can you copy me in with your reply as a number off people are coming straight back to me to check the status with things.

Many many thanks.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Capita cannot close your claim. They can return your file to the DWP who should then give you the opportunity to explain why you didn't attend. If they don't accept your reason then they can close your claim.
    If that happens then you should involve your local MP.
    Please come back when you know what is happening and we can try and help with how to take it further

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    debsidoo,

As CR says, it isn't Capita's decision. They should send your info back to the DWP. The DWP can then make a decision to refuse PIP which you'd have to challenge via a process of mandatory reconsideration (asking for them to look at the decision again) and then appeal if that didn't work.

I suggest getting in touch with the DWP as soon as you can and provide evidence that you were in and that Capita went to the wrong house. Your own verbal evidence is fine. Keep a note of the date and time of all phone calls and correspondence with the DWP.

What you are trying to do is to stop the negative decision from being made by providing the correct information about what happened. As CR says, the DWP should get in touch with you and give you an opportunity to do that.

You could also complain to Capita for what they said, which is unnecessary and unhelpful!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• debsidoo
    Thanks Will.
         Have now spoken to Dwp and they have taken down my statement and I have record of calls.They said I just have to wait now.Annoyingly enough I have no record of calls to Capita as Bt are unable to log them,strange.
    Grateful for the advice.
                Debsidoo
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Don't Capita record all calls? If so, then I do believe you can ask for a copy of the recording as proof that they did go to the wrong house.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited October 2017
    If you make a "Subject Access Request" to Capita for all your personal Data which you can do by email you can specify which information you want. Details of  how to do this are on the Information Commissioner's Office website or you can ring ICO for advice. You will receive screen shots of notes made at the time of your calls. They have 40 straight (not working) days to send you this information. If they don't comply ICO can be notified  of this and will make it happen..  
         @Debsidoo It might be useful to request ALL your Data as other information may come to light that you can use to prove your case.
  • debsidoo
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for this.I will give it a try.As of yet Capita are not responding to my emails.Even one I sent tracked.
         Debsidoo.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @debsidoo Like others have said there is a procedure in place for when this happens so I wouldn't waste time trying to get Capita to answer your emails. The matter should now be in the hands of DWP who should send you a letter to allow you to respond with your side of the story. Whenever you ring about anything get the name of who you've spoken to. Ask them for this as it will wake them up to action if they know you're keeping a record of who you spoke to. Record the time and date and what was said. Make a nuisance of yourself till you get another assessment date. 
  • debsidoo
    Will do. Thanks.x
  • debsidoo
    Update. Dwp have accepted the error lay with Capita and have reccommended a rescheduling of appointment.Thanks everyone for all the advice.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for letting us know
    I hope your new appointment go's well and you get the award you deserve

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • debsidoo
    Will let you know.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.