Growing up with AFOs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Growing up with AFOs

Hils78
Hils78 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all, I’m new to this but my 2 1/2 year old daughter is going to be in fixed splints after some casting over the next few weeks. She has bilateral talipes but unusually she has stronger eversion than inversion, evidently because her tibalis anterior (??) muscle isn’t working - she has very little range and can’t dorsiflex or invert either foot at all. She’s not been wearing her Ponsetti boots and bar for a few months now and she’s not relapsing, but despite physio she can’t get either heel down and she’s high stepping to compensate - hence where we are now. 
My feeling is that if tib ant (physio lingo apparently!) just doesn’t work, she may need splints most of her life. I can find really helpful practical info out there about shoes, socks, repairs etc, but nothing so far on the emotional side. I’ll keep following all leads of course to improve things, but also will have it completely normal. That will be fine until someone out there is mean to her, or it’s obvious at PE that she can’t do the same things, or she wants to wear heels, etc etc. What are people’s experiences? Any advice to make the emotional path as smooth as possible? 
Thanks xx

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.