Pip from dla — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip from dla

margaret35
margaret35 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
I'm sorry if I sound stupid but I have my assessment on Monday.  I've heard so many cases about it that I'm frightened I will lose everything.  I had to go bankrupt last November because I couldn't keep up with my mum's care home top up fees . If I lose my pip -dla i will only have about 25 pounds  a week to live on . Please can anyone give me advice how to win . I'm hopeless with technology so please bare with me . Thankyou .

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi margaret and welcome

We have all been where you are, not all assessments are bad. We generally only hear on the forums about the claims that go wrong and not the many successful ones.
    Have a look at the self test to get an idea of the points system, the descriptors and the criteria  for an award

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

come back with any questions and we will try and help

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • margaret35
    Thankyou . I will try and work it out ☺
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @margaret35

Scope has a guide to PIP assessments - look under Help and info.

Almost certainly, the assessor will ask how you travelled to the assessment centre.  Don't drive yourself  - take a taxi if necessary.  Assessors think that ability to drive equals ability to bathe and dress in a reasonable time, and ability to plan routes.  

Be confident at the assessment and look out for trick questions.

They might ask you for how long you can walk, not how far.  The time you can  walk for might be seen to contradict the distance you have said you can walk.  Be careful.

If you use a walking aid, make sure you take it with you.

They might ask about hobbies.  Doing craftwork or jigsaws could indicate a high level of manual dexterity.  Also, going to the gym or swimming could indicate a high level of energy.

Asking if you have any pets is another one.  Ability to look after pets, especially dogs, shows a certain level of energy.

Though there are no points for housework, they might ask about this as, again, this might indicate a certain level of energy if you do a lot of your own housework.

They might ask if sometimes you don't even bother to try and prepare a simple meal from fresh ingredients and just settle for a sandwich.  Claimants have been classed as able to prepare a simple meal from scratch because they can get themselves a bowl of cereal or pot noodle!  Again, be careful.

Your disabilities only have to be serious enough to qualify for at least 50% of the time, i.e. four days or more a week.  I'd keep it simple.  I began to explain to my assessor that I had five bad days a week on average and her eyes started to glaze over.  So, I altered what I said to five days a week without any qualification - and she seemed happy!

Good luck on Monday!
  • margaret35
    Thanks so much . I'm going to takes notes and let my daughter  help me with them. Xx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.