Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Why do i have to pay half my rent when i claim ESA?

tonytonytonytony Member Posts: 1 Listener
Why do i have to pay half my rent when i claim ESA? it seems very unfair, they always send the letting on the weekends, it makes for maximum stress, these people are vile.


  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tonytony

    It's great to meet you this afternoon.

    Please please have a good look around our site !!!!!!!

    I have posted a link below for you on "esa"

  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tonytony
    Welcome to the community, I found this on the CAB:

    If you are on Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or the guarantee credit of Pension Credit (whether you get it on its own or with the savings credit), Housing Benefit will cover all of your eligible rent. But you need to remember that not all of your rent or housing costs may be covered.

    If you pay rent to a private landlord, the rent your Housing Benefit can cover will normally be restricted to an amount set by a rent officer.
    If you rent from a social housing landlord, such as the council or a housing association, and you are working-age, the rent that can be covered by housing benefit will be restricted if your accommodation is considered to be too large.

    Also, the Housing Benefit you can get may be reduced if another person lives with you who could be expected to pay towards their accommodation, even if they do not.
    Senior online community officer
Sign in or join us to comment.