Why do i have to pay half my rent when i claim ESA? — Scope | Disability forum

Why do i have to pay half my rent when i claim ESA?

tonytony Member Posts: 1 Listener
Why do i have to pay half my rent when i claim ESA? it seems very unfair, they always send the letting on the weekends, it makes for maximum stress, these people are vile.


  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tonytony

    It's great to meet you this afternoon.

    Please please have a good look around our site !!!!!!!

    I have posted a link below for you on "esa"

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tonytony
    Welcome to the community, I found this on the CAB:

    If you are on Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or the guarantee credit of Pension Credit (whether you get it on its own or with the savings credit), Housing Benefit will cover all of your eligible rent. But you need to remember that not all of your rent or housing costs may be covered.

    If you pay rent to a private landlord, the rent your Housing Benefit can cover will normally be restricted to an amount set by a rent officer.
    If you rent from a social housing landlord, such as the council or a housing association, and you are working-age, the rent that can be covered by housing benefit will be restricted if your accommodation is considered to be too large.

    Also, the Housing Benefit you can get may be reduced if another person lives with you who could be expected to pay towards their accommodation, even if they do not.
    Senior online community officer


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.