OT self referral — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

OT self referral

Options
cen12
cen12 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi all,

been a while since I’ve been on here. Hope everyone is doing ok. 

Quick question has anyone self referred themselves to the OT for additional support etc.
im struggling with daily tasks and mobility . But as of yet Ive still got no diagnosis. Would that go against me??

I struggle with standing , washing myself , preparing food. I used a stick in and around the house and a wheelchair/mobility scooter in the community.

any advice would be gratefully received.

many thanks
  cen

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    I have self-referred but it is better if you get your GP to do it and explain why you've been referred. They will only contact the GP anyway and it could be answered by one who knows little about you. Better to get your regular GP to do it.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Cen

It definitely sounds as if it would be beneficial for you to have contact with your local community Occupational Therapy Department so that an OT can assess what the issues are with your activities of daily living. If possible they will try to address the identified issues by supplying equipment and/or making suggestions about other ways of achieving the things you want/need to do.

Knowing someone's diagnosis can be an important part of the puzzle when the OT is trying to figure out what is preventing someone from being able to carry out an activity and the best way to remedy the situation. However, OT's can and do regularly work with people that have no formal diagnosis.

Certainly you can self refer, be prepared to answer some questions over the phone, as the person taking your call may need to establish that you meet their criteria and how urgent your referral is. Getting your GP to refer means that those things should hopefully be covered by the referral letter. Them is no harm in people being referred to the OT by duel routes. As TK has already stated the OT is most likely going to contact your GP and potentially other health professionals involved with your can to try to get a good understanding of your condition.

More information about occupational therapy and how to access it can be found on the NHS Choices website: 

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/occupational-therapy/Pages/introduction.aspx

Hope you are able to access the support of an OT soon,

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.