Hi, my name is debbiewood! — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is debbiewood!

debbiewood Member Posts: 2 Listener
I am looking for advice regarding my mum who is disabled following a severe stroke nearly 2 years ago.  Mum is 80 years old. She does not currently claim for any benefits and i would like advice regarding what benefits to apply for on her  behalf.  My dad is currently her full-time carer, alongside the formal carers that she has morning and evenings (these are funded as part of her care plan).  My Dad struggles to get mum in and out of the car / wheelchair and I believe that they might be eligible for some sort of benefit which will allow them to rent a mobility car; Mum is more or less housebound now as they are not living near any other relatives.  I have applied for attendance allowance on her behalf but am unsure as to what other help she may receive.  They have a good income from their pensions but not savings or property, etc.  They currently live in a park home that they have had adapted to mum's needs; as in a ramp and a wet room but they are not meant to live there permanently and this has put my Dad off applying for any help I think.  Any advice would be appreciated. 


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Debbie and welcome

    After 65 there is no mobility award if it wasn't in place before 65.
    You could put their details into an on line benefit calculator or call Age UK for a benefit check

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,384 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @debbiewood and welcome to the community.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Nice to meet you @debbiewood!

    I've moved your post into the Ask A Benefits Advisor category to see if they can advise you on what might be worth considering in your case.
  • debbiewood
    debbiewood Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for your replies.. I haven’t heard from a benefits advisor yet though Pippa ? 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Apologies for this @debbiewood, I know they're receiving a high volume of enquires at the moment but somebody will get to you as soon as possible! 

    In the meantime, you might like to have a look at this Online Benefits Calculator (as CR suggested above): it's quite a useful resource for seeing what you may be entitled to!
  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debbiewood

    Welcome to our online community/family/website.

    I have suffered a Stroke myself so any help/support that I can offer you please please let me know ????

    If there is anything that I can help with regards to the "benefit calculator" please let me know ????

    Many thanks.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi @debbiewood. Firstly, I would definitely recommend that you or your parents use the online benefit calculator mentioned above to check that they are getting all the state benefits they are entitled to, such as pension credit, housing benefit and help with council tax (if they are liable for it in their park home). Attendance Allowance is definitely another benefit you should pursue, especially as it is not means tested (although it may affect the funding of the care plan you mention). As Cockney Rebel says, there is no mobility component within Attendance Allowance, so the Motability Scheme which you are thinking of will not be available to your parents. They should definitely apply for a Blue Badge if they haven't done so already, and that is done via their Local Authority.
    I would also strongly recommend that you or your parents investigate what help may be available from charitable sources to help with a car which is suitable for your mother. Your parents are possibly of an age where one or both of them may have spent some time in the Armed Services doing National Service, and this may qualify them for help from the relevant benevolent fund. If either of your parents have a religious affiliation, or belonged to a trade union or a profession, anything like that, then they may be able to source some help outside of the benefits system. The turn2us website (which operates the benefits calculator mentioned above) also has a Grants database which you can find here: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Benefits-Grants. The Grants database has thousands of charities and benevolent funds listed on it, and I would recommend you have a look. The details of all the Armed Services charities are listed on the site. 
    I hope this helps, and good luck with the Attendance Allowance claim. 

    Best wishes,

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.