A disabled parent with disabled child and self employed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A disabled parent with disabled child and self employed

Options
bigmovebabe
bigmovebabe Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2017 in Work and employment
i am heading for a crisis. i was told by DWP that my part-time boot fair and upselling business is no longer a real business because im not intending to make a profit. so they stopped my working tax credits. I explained that it the perfect business for my unpredictable condition and gives me the flexibility needed to also care for my disabled daughter, therefore i can not build the business beyond a part-time flexible working self employment.. they ignored my explanation and cut my working tax credits. This does not seem fear. I feel penalised fo?r trying to work smart and stay off unemployment benifits.
does anyone have experience disability and the new self employment rules on working tax credits reporting and business planning?
i feel like the only one in this situation.
Is there any one out there or have experienced these issues?

thanks 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @bigmovebabe
    Welcome to the community and Im sorry to hear that you feel you are heading into crisis.
    Though of course I dont know the in and outs of your business, if you are saying that you are "not intending to make a profit" then can you explain a little more how you believe it is a business?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Wasn't it their words? @bigmovebabe  was intending to make as much profit as was manageable, but it's been deemed not profitable enough to count, as I understand it? 
    Autistic mother (they/them) not Autism Mom
  • Rian_Alumni
    Rian_Alumni Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Options
    Good Afternoon @bigmovebabe

i am Rian from Scope support to work i am sorry to hear about the problems you are having with Working Tax Credits.
    In order to keep full payment of your WTC you will need to show the 16hours worth of work which is anything that will help increase the profit of your business.

What may have happened is that the work you were doing was not seen to be helping in you building your profit for your business.
    Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.