carer respite breaks? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

carer respite breaks?

ClydeBuilt Member Posts: 40 Connected
Given my ever growing list of 'problems', is there such a thing as a scheme where carers cant get a break for a few days to a breathing space?

Dealing with my meds, appointments and care needs, must take some toll on my wife, But Im thinking that coping with my depression exacts a much higher cost to her own health!
Im slowly coming round to the idea that I be Bi-Polar, shes very tuned to it and can spot when Im becoming agited etc before it becomes an issue.

The prospect of something like a weekend or a week, once or twice a year looks like it could provide a much needed rest from looking after the grumpy old scroat for a while.
Does such a thing exist?
I have heard of some that offer respite care by taking the patient into care, that is far beyond our requirements and would not provide that clean break from the situation.

Any ideas troops?


  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have heard of something similar that would qualify as a holiday as such. I do remember googling disability holidays and amongst all the family away type ones there was one that came up sounding similar to what you are thinking about. Unfortunately it was a couple of years ago and I cannot remember details except that it was similar to a hotel but with fully trained staff to look after the disabled people.

    I am not doing well at the moment but will try to remember what it was and re-post if I can find it again.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • WorksopChris
    WorksopChris Member Posts: 27 Connected
    First step would be your local LA.

    Carers Assessment for starters.

    I assume that both you and your caree have had a full benefits check up , claiming / receiving all available ?

    Respite care is a real post code lottery ... free if under the financial limits , not so if over.

    Could be achieved through your caree receiving Direct Payments.

    Again , first port of call ... your local LA.

    Best to do your homework first so that you are prepared ... recommend any Internet search ... CARERS ASSESSMENTS ... and / or drop into Carers UK forum ... numerous postings on Carer Assessments thereon ... a true good / bad / often very ugly mix !
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I've had a look and the one I found before was Calvert Trust ( and another is Revitalise ( Both aim to provide short breaks with assistance available and rooms specifically aimed at severe disabilities. I don't know if that is the type of thing you are looking for and didn't look into pricing but it may be what you are looking for.

    Hope this helps.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ClydeBuilt, the suggestions above definitely might be worth looking into for you.

    I also found a Carers Helpline listed by the NHS on this page. The MIND website points to this service as a place to gain information on support and respite for mental health carers, so it might be worth giving it a go! 
  • Tracyjane50
    Tracyjane50 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I am sure my partner is suffering with exhaustion looking after me and am sure if he could get a break it would recharge his batteries.  Who would look after me while he is away.  Help anyone
  • kirstyedgar1
    kirstyedgar1 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi there is help have you tried family fund they help with that i have help off them before you can apply every year they have helped me with a holiday i got a grant for £500.00 towards a holiday they also help to give carers a break i can give you a contact number is 01904550055 give them a call i am sure they will help you.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.