Education and learning
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Teen with learning disabilities

mama05mama05 Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited November 2017 in Education and learning
Can someone advice please. I have a son who will be 14 soon with learning difficulties and is homeschooled. I had him assessed privately and I am awaiting on full report but educational psychologist told me he had learning difficulties. Now that I know this where can I get help. I would not like to send him to mainstream school if possible


  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi mama and welcome

    One of the advisors will be along soon to help. In the mean time have a look around the site , there is plenty of info on here

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • mama05mama05 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks CockneyRebel
    Yes, there is a lot of information and I am going through it
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mama05,

    I wonder if @IndependentSupportServices would be able to advise further on this?
  • GeoarkGeoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,375 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @mama05 and welcome to the community. There are a number of options open to you, depending on the full report and the severity of the learning disability. 1. you can remain homeschooling your son 2. if the learning disability is severe enough your son may be offered a place within a special needs school or unit - usually attached to a mainstream school 3. In theory you can split his education between a school and homeschooling if there is one or two topics you would prefer for him to do at school. In theory as you would need to find a school that would agree to such an arrangement. I am sure you are aware, but be prepared for a lot of ignorance and prejudice against homeschooling. When my daughter moved from homeschooling to mainstream education one of the headteachers had no interest in offering my daughter a place, they just wanted our details to report us as parents, and made a lot of judgemets on both us and our daughter. I had no problem informing her that at least is it saved us turning down the place if she had offered one based on bigotry and small mindedness shown.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • IndependentSupportServicesIndependentSupportServices Member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi @mama05,

    Are you homeschooling through choice or because you feel that school was unable to meet his needs?

    As a parent, you can apply for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) if you feel he needs more support than is available to him. The independent report you commissioned would have to be considered by the Local Authority. If you feel your son would be best suited to a special school, they usually require an EHCP for admission so it may be worth contacting schools in your area to find out.

    If you would like information and guidance from parents of children with SEN who home educate, there are websites such as the one below

    IPSEA have answered a question about home education and SEN in the link below which may be of use to you

    If you would like to apply for an EHCP, you can find your local Independent Support Service through the link below or by doing an internet search for SENDIASS and your local area. They can also provide general support and information
  • mama05mama05 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you all. I am looking through and using this incredible sea of information.
    I am homeschooling because the school did not recognise my sons needs and were too focused on behaviour.  
  • IndependentSupportServicesIndependentSupportServices Member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi @mama05,

    If you can provide evidence (for example the educational psychology advice) that your son has SEN and his needs are above what could be met through universsal services (school, access to the higher needs funding they can apply for), then he may be entitled to an EHCP. It would definitely be worth speaking to your local SENDIASS for more information.

    Good luck
  • mama05mama05 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks I will try that
Sign in or join us to comment.