Ask a disabled student adviser
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Funding for university degree course 2018

RascalRascal Member Posts: 10 Listener
im currently studying a level 3 Diploma in Education studies at FE college.14.5 hrs per week I am in receipt  & on ESA.  As my PIP was cut from enhanced personal to nothing in July. I'm awaiting a tribunal date, which could be 20 weeks! 
This situation is nearly impossible for me, and I'm worried that the next three years at university in Manchester could be more difficult. As I have four chronic health problems Im not able to take any paid work at the moment.  the level 3 course is very intense. 

I would be grateful of any advice you could please give me got the future 

many Thanks 
Rachel Hinks (nee Day) 


  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rascal

    A very very big welcome to you to our community/website.

    I have pasted some info for you below:

    Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help/support you with ????
  • RascalRascal Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Thank you.  I wondered if you gave Amy info about grants & funding for disabled students please. -for when I actuallly go to university next autumn 
  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rascal

    Yes that will be fine do you want me to email them to you ?????

  • RascalRascal Member Posts: 10 Listener
    I'm a bit new to this forum. Sorry Steve. How do I email my questions to you. 
    Thabk ypu so much for your quick response and your advice so far. 
  • RascalRascal Member Posts: 10 Listener
    edited November 2017
    Sorry just re-read that. No glasses on! Doh! 

    Any advice would be really helpful. Then I will know  what questions to ask. I'm hoping to go to Manchester Metropolitan Uni next Autumn & their open day is. coming  up on November 25th. So any info I have upfront will be invaluable. 

    Scope have already helped me so much up until now with theiir advice line & specific benefits advisor interview. I think I wouldn't have coped so well without that support. . 

    Thanks once again. 
  • AlexAlex Posts: 1,325 Scope community team
    Hi Rachel,

    Welcome to the community. Sorry - I've had to remove your email address from your last post, as we don't allow personal info to be shared (because this is a public website). Hopefully @melaniethorley will be able to help with your questions. 
  • RascalRascal Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Ah sorry. It was late when I posted. I did think afterwards -was it allowed. As I said I'm new to all this.  Thanks I'll try the email address you have posted. 
  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rascal

    Here's my contact: @steve51

    I have provided some more info below for you.

    Please let me know if I can help/support you further ??
  • melaniethorleymelaniethorley Volunteer community adviser Posts: 132 Pioneering
    Hi @Rascal and apologies for the delay  in responding. I have had difficulty accessing the forum. You are wise to think ahead. Something like 75% of PIP tribunals are overturned in favour of the disabled person. You just have to be stubborn and stick with the tribunal.

    There is plenty of support available for students studying in higher education. You should be in receipt of the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs). The quicker you apply, the quicker the assessments and equipment can be sourced.

    You might also want to consider studying part-time. I say this because university should be enjoyable but you might have to push yourself hard which will have a negative impact on your health.

    you might also want to check out our tips for transition:

    good luck
  • RascalRascal Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Thank you so much for that. I will check out the tips & enquire about applying for the financial help. I'm studying an access course at the moment and finding it so difficult with my health & my limited gibsves. But because I'm at a FE college they can't assist me unless I have childcare needs. I'll think about the part time option too. I guess at 46 I'm just keen to push-on. But obviously my health is more important. 

    Thanks again gor for your support. 
  • melaniethorleymelaniethorley Volunteer community adviser Posts: 132 Pioneering
    Hello again Rachel and thanks for your reply. I understand the need to learn, I am currently studying my fifth degree - glutton for punishment? But this does give me first hand experience as life as a disabled student. I have both depression and fibromyalgia (both under control the majority of the time). I think it is unfair to penalise you because you do not receive child care funding. Surely, the college has an obligation to support you. You should get DSA but you could also try the Snowden Trust for funding as they have grants for disabled students. You are also welcome to join our STAART initiative as that might be useful. the link to booking can be found here:

  • mendipmarkmendipmark Member Posts: 22 Listener
    I have three degrees with very little help from the universities. My major problems appeared during the last one.

    If you look at the prospectus there should be info for disabled including the name of the disabled students advisor. Their job is to help with funding, complete applications and make impartial needs assessments etc to make your transition as seamless as possible.  Get in contact well in advance of when you want to start so everything is in place well before the start. Every uni poly or college has at least one.
    They alert the course staff to your needs, ensure everything you need is provided is ready and can act on your behalf. You will be amazed at the help you may get.

    Good luck
  • RascalRascal Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Thank you for your advice Mark it is much appreciated 
  • mendipmarkmendipmark Member Posts: 22 Listener
    Hi again. The dept for education runs a student finance site. Google student finance uk govt should find. There may also be charities or trusts that you could apply to get aid from. The CAB or if you live in a housing trust home their welfare team may be able to accelerate your tribunal and help get the issue sorted.

    There something Disabled Students Allowance could help you with.
Sign in or join us to comment.