CP wheelchair user how to keep weight on — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CP wheelchair user how to keep weight on

Options
Wheelability1234
Wheelability1234 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hello. Myself and my husband have cerebral palsy and we use wheelchairs to get around. We are both under weight and find it difficult to keep weight on. My husband is 37 and in age 11 trousers and xs tops. We can only get these from next as they do small sizes. We are about 7 stone. I'm about 5 ft 2 and my husband smaller in height than me. Any suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• loopyt
    loopyt Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Hi wheelability, lovely that you support each other. Do you have poor appetite? I think there are people on here who may be able to help T
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Wheelability1234
    Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Could you be referred to a dietician?

I have read that lots of people with CP can struggle to gain weight, do you have any ideas to why you are? Is it lack or appetite? Do you need to find out more about nutrition and how you can increase calorie intake?

@KirstenNutritionAdvisor can you help?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Options
    Hi the best way to gain weight is to maintain a healthy calorie excess, to maintain weight we need to remain within a healthy calorie range. Based on your height of 5ft 2 and weight of 98lbs you need to be eating 1800 per day to maintain your weight 2300 calories a day to gain a pound a week and 2500 to gain 2lbs a week. Try to eat energy dense foods like nuts, seeds, avocados and healthy fats they foods are not only full of nutrients but calories to help boost your calories!! If you need more information please ask away xx 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.