Would really like help and advice regarding my current situation. — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Would really like help and advice regarding my current situation.

AM1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
I don't want to write a huge post so please ask questions.

I am currently in the ESA support group because of my mental health and living in N ireland for the past 5 years. I suffer with servere depression and anxiety with some paranoia but I want to live a better life for myself before it's too late.

Where I live is a very secluded area, no public transport, I don't drive and currently living with parents. I want to move back to the Manchester NorthWest of England but figuring out what help (if any) I can get is hard. I don't like Ireland and I know i would be better off in the UK mainland as find the people nicer and less sectarian beliefs.

I could get over to the UK but that's when it starts getting confusing for me on how to proceed.

Below are a few things that come to mind.

The first problem i come across is ESA and moving to the UK. Is it simple to move it over to uk mainland? It's now univeral credit i believe there. How would that work? Will i get re-evaluated?

What options are available in regards to housing? Not many landlords accept DSS.
I tried manchestermove but they were useless with any help at all. I have looked privately at 1 bedroom flats and studio flats and they range from £450-500.
(theres a possibility i could loan enough rent for the deposit + first months rent but this isnt a certain) Living with strangers in a house share wouldn't be a option for me.

If you were me how would you make this happen? theres alot racing through my mind so im sure I missed something.


  • cathie
    cathie Member Posts: 143 Courageous
    Only my option I'm no expert  so not sure if it's of any use to you ..but clearly your a women that's classed as suffering from hence this makes you a vunrable person .that's why the mental health team are there for you  it's surly there responsibility to help you do a these things that will keep u safe before you even start such a adventure if not able talk to the district you wish to move to and get them to put all in place  before you arrive  very brave move for some one without health issues let a lone some one so vunrable could really leave you unable to cope  just my thoughts  might be able to talk to your helper assesser not sure of name of but maybe just maybe   if you don't have mental health  helper Bloody should ask gp to refer you ..
    Only me .. cathie..
  • AM1
    AM1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi cathie,

    Any advice is welcome, the reason I want to try is my parents aren't getting any younger and this idea of getting my life sorted has been on my mind.

    Right now I'm just looking for opinions on what people think and what they suggest and if it's even possible.

    If this thread shows it is possible I would contact the necessary people to get the ball rolling but find it alot less stressful posting online.
  • cathie
    cathie Member Posts: 143 Courageous
    Good for you get as.much advise then try to make it make aence for your best interest ..good luck ...
    Only me .. cathie..
  • AM1
    AM1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks much appreciated.

  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome

    I think that you need to get trained advice for this
    Try ringing the Scope help line or go to CAB who maybe able to advise you

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.