Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is Hestie!

Hestie Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Good day All

We recently located to UK from South Africa. I have two children, aged 5 and 7 and one of them (boy aged 5) has cerebral palsy. I am really struggling to find an appropriate school for him to attend where he will receive the needed support to flourish.

Really looking forward to connect with the community.

Many thanks



  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi Hestia, welcome to the community. 
    It is nice that you are  relocated to UK. I hope you will like life here. However, the weather here is not nice. 
    Please get in touch with any charitable organisation supporting children with cerebral palsy, any special education needs & information, guidance and advice organisation in your area. Why not to walk to local learning centre office and ask for directions on placing child within nearest school. Please look for Independent organisation as well as they can act as advocate to underline your's child needs. 

    @IndependentSupportServices please can you advice Hestia. 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,147 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hestie

    Welcome to our online family/website.

    It's great to meet you this evening.

    I have pasted some info for you from our website.

    Please let me know if I can help you further.
  • IndependentSupportServices
    IndependentSupportServices Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi @Hestie

    When looking at schools, it is important to get someone on board who has local knowledge and contacts. There is an organisation called Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS). They will be able to give you information on local schools and other support for you and your child. If you do an internet search for SENDIASS and the area you live in you will find them. They will also be able to signpost you to the local offer, a website containing information about education, health and social care in your area.

    Good luck!
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.