Hi, my name is Hestie! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Hestie!

Options
Hestie
Hestie Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Good day All

We recently located to UK from South Africa. I have two children, aged 5 and 7 and one of them (boy aged 5) has cerebral palsy. I am really struggling to find an appropriate school for him to attend where he will receive the needed support to flourish.

Really looking forward to connect with the community.

Many thanks

Hestie

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Hestia, welcome to the community. 
    It is nice that you are  relocated to UK. I hope you will like life here. However, the weather here is not nice. 
    Please get in touch with any charitable organisation supporting children with cerebral palsy, any special education needs & information, guidance and advice organisation in your area. Why not to walk to local learning centre office and ask for directions on placing child within nearest school. Please look for Independent organisation as well as they can act as advocate to underline your's child needs. 

@IndependentSupportServices please can you advice Hestia. 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Hestie

Welcome to our online family/website.

It's great to meet you this evening.

I have pasted some info for you from our website.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/families/diagnosis/cerebral-palsy
  • IndependentSupportServices
    IndependentSupportServices Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Hestie

When looking at schools, it is important to get someone on board who has local knowledge and contacts. There is an organisation called Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS). They will be able to give you information on local schools and other support for you and your child. If you do an internet search for SENDIASS and the area you live in you will find them. They will also be able to signpost you to the local offer, a website containing information about education, health and social care in your area.

Good luck!

Brightness