decisions — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Hi my husband received a letter today asking if i was his career and cared for him at least 35 hours at week. Does anyone know how long it will take now to process my claim please x


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Tracey and welcome

    Usually carers takes about four weeks

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Tracey1207
    Tracey1207 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thankyou so much is that 4 weeks from the start of the claim x
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, normally from the start but they are having some delays do give them a ring in a week or so for an update

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • bevt2017
    bevt2017 Member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Hi @Tracey1207
    CR is right, it should only take about 4 weeks.
    But it also depends if your claiming for back payment.
    It took my husband about 2 - 3 months. Then another month before payment. 
    Good luck
    All the best.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Unfortunately there is no standard time but I'd expect between four to six weeks. You could give them a ring to check as CR suggests, especially if it's been more than four weeks since you sent in all the evidence.

    As Bev says it can sometimes take longer - if it goes over 3 or 4 months I'd consider complaining, but it is tricky because there is no target time.

    Once you get a decision, make sure you let other organisations know in case it is relevant - sometimes carer's allowance can help you to get or increase other benefits (this is complicated, and it won't always have an effect, but it's worth mentioning to your local authority, for example).

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.