I have never considered myself to be disabled — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have never considered myself to be disabled

Options
jilla
jilla Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have never considered myself to be disabled.  However,  as I have got older my problems and health issues have increased and I have  been unable to work for the last 18 months as a result. I am now at a point of thinking that perhaps I need to be accepting the possibility that I may not be able to return to work in my previous role and need to look into where I go from here.  I need to look into the financial implications along with how to improve the quality of my life.
I would be grateful for any advice and information from people who have been through this or are currently going through it.
Many thanks.

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Jilla,

Welcome to the community. Scope have put together an introduction to the world of disability on our website. It's called Becoming disabled. It gives a very brief introduction to things like benefits, coping with work and adapting your home. I hope that's a useful start.

If you have any questions about any of that, feel free to ask us here.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jilla

A very very good mourning to you & welcome to our online commuinty.

Yes I had to go through this process a few years ago now.

Please please let me know if I can help ??????

Thanks.
  • Geniedebs
    Geniedebs Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Jilla. I was born physically disabled but did not feel as if I was so in my teens, twenties and thirties. It has only as I have aged, 57 now, that on a practical, logical level that I accept more limitations with my body. I cannot walk as far or stand for so long. I can now only work in jobs with the minimum of walking or standing.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.