I have never considered myself to be disabled — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have never considered myself to be disabled

Options
jilla
jilla Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have never considered myself to be disabled.  However,  as I have got older my problems and health issues have increased and I have  been unable to work for the last 18 months as a result. I am now at a point of thinking that perhaps I need to be accepting the possibility that I may not be able to return to work in my previous role and need to look into where I go from here.  I need to look into the financial implications along with how to improve the quality of my life.
I would be grateful for any advice and information from people who have been through this or are currently going through it.
Many thanks.

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Jilla,

Welcome to the community. Scope have put together an introduction to the world of disability on our website. It's called Becoming disabled. It gives a very brief introduction to things like benefits, coping with work and adapting your home. I hope that's a useful start.

If you have any questions about any of that, feel free to ask us here.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jilla

A very very good mourning to you & welcome to our online commuinty.

Yes I had to go through this process a few years ago now.

Please please let me know if I can help ??????

Thanks.
  • Geniedebs
    Geniedebs Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Jilla. I was born physically disabled but did not feel as if I was so in my teens, twenties and thirties. It has only as I have aged, 57 now, that on a practical, logical level that I accept more limitations with my body. I cannot walk as far or stand for so long. I can now only work in jobs with the minimum of walking or standing.

Brightness