PIP Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment

robstan
robstan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Can anyone please advise me as I am very confused !!  I was awarded PIP via a Tribunal hearing until August 2018, I have just received a letter telling me I have a PIP assessment in November 2017, I feel I should not have to face yet another stressful assessment process considering the DWP's HCP's have never been helpful / accurate in their assessments into my health / health condition following a stroke.  I would like to know if the DWP, after this new assessment, would be able to stop my claim for PIP even though a Tribunal has already awarded PIP to me until August 2018 ?  I know the DWP are spinning these "new assessments" to see if claimants are receiving the right amount of benefit but I only receive the lowest amount of PIP benefit and I know this forthcoming assessment is not about making sure I receive more from them.  Finally, can anyone please tell me what would happen if I decided not to attend this assessment ?

Many thanks
Rob.

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi robstan. Unfortunately, it is quite common for the review of an existing award to take place a year or so before the award is due to end. This applies even if the DWP considers that your condition is likely to stay much the same. It is likely you will have been sent a shortened version of the 'How your disability affects you ' form, which goes through the daily living and mobility activity headings and asks you whether things have got easier, harder or are the same. It's important that you return the form by the deadline, and co-operate with all that is asked, including attendance at another face to face assessment, otherwise your entitlement may be ended, as the DWP are within their rights to instigate this process. It is therefore really important that you revisit the activities and descriptors which secured you PIP in the first place, and emphasise that these still apply. It will also help if you can obtain really specific medical evidence which confirms which descriptors apply to you and why.
    This website has very good information: www.benefitsandwork.co.uk.
    Good luck with your review, and come back to us if you need further information.

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    robstan said:
    Can anyone please advise me as I am very confused !!  I was awarded PIP via a Tribunal hearing until August 2018, I have just received a letter telling me I have a PIP assessment in November 2017, I feel I should not have to face yet another stressful assessment process considering the DWP's HCP's have never been helpful / accurate in their assessments into my health / health condition following a stroke.  I would like to know if the DWP, after this new assessment, would be able to stop my claim for PIP even though a Tribunal has already awarded PIP to me until August 2018 ?  I know the DWP are spinning these "new assessments" to see if claimants are receiving the right amount of benefit but I only receive the lowest amount of PIP benefit and I know this forthcoming assessment is not about making sure I receive more from them.  Finally, can anyone please tell me what would happen if I decided not to attend this assessment ?

Many thanks
    Rob.
    if you do not attend they stop benifit  i had review letter to make sure im on corect money ummmm no i had review letter to give me another face to face acessmant so they could lie again and stop my benifits its a con and  a farce  at the mo im argueing with capita who think i will be ignored i wont  i will push them into a court case for fraud  as they gain cash while i lose it because they lie  a private company  can be sued  and i have the evidence to prove they lied   but  thats my view you may be lucky and sail thru youer acessmant ??i hope you do not everyone can get refused or they lose contracrt hahaha

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    You *have* to attend the assessment, or they'll stop your PIP, and it'll be harder to appeal. Please take someone with you.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    It needs someone to take one of the accessment companies to court for falseying evidence and hopefully win if their prove is beyond doubt that will make the accessment companies and the government realise what is going on at their bequests to save them money or what the government agenda is for those claiming disability benefits or any Benifits
  • Waylay
    @wilko I'm looking into doing this. 

It has already been done, as well. A woman took ATOS to court and won £5000 a little while ago.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    www.disabilitynewsservice.com/court-orders-atos-to-pay-disabled-woman-5000-over-dishonest-pip-assessment/ 

The article.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Waylay
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    There so sneaky give you a set reward ,say three years or two .then want too review you halfway through it .so unfair and stressful 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    U
    There so sneaky give you a set reward ,say three years or two .then want too review you halfway through it .so unfair and stressful 

Unfortunately our MP's agreed that reviews at any time can be carried out. They were frightened that if they allowed PIP to go the way of DLA and give lengthy award periods, not that many claimants would volunteer to tell the DWP that there had been an improvement in their abilities - keep you head down and say nothing was the DLA motto, if you want to keep your award..
    In a way I do agree that regular testing and reviews should be carried out, but consideration as to when this should happen should be linked to the conditions that a claimant has, the difficulties the claimant has because of them, the length of time that these difficulties have existed and the likely prospect of the claimant gaining any  improvement in them.
    In my case to suggest that a damage spine, a brain injury, etc etc etc  will improve within 2 years is a joke.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.