Housing — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


sky67 Member Posts: 3 Listener
I live in totally unsuitable accommodation yet don't no what to do about it x


  • sally13uk
    sally13uk Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi which council area do you live in. Also is it essential that you stay in the same area. 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Speak to your GP. They can contact the people who assess whether your accommodation is suitable and provide minor bits and pieces which may help a little.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,384 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sky67 and welcome to the community.

    A lot will depend on the type of tenure you are in, your circumstance and why your current home is unsuitable and where in the UK you live. Scope has an excellent housing advisor, @Debbie_Scope who may be able to help  you.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • Debbie_Scope
    Debbie_Scope Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi @sky67,

    Welcome to the community and thanks to @geoark for your lovely words :)

    As geoark says, it depends on what type of housing you're in at the moment. Is it rented and if so, is it social housing or privately rented?
    The options will differ depending on the type of tenancy you have and where you live. Every local authority has their own housing allocations policy so it's worth contacting your housing options team or viewing the information on their website to help you assess what you'll need in order to find suitable housing. It's worth noting that although you deem the property unsuitable, the law may not necessarily agree with you and you may have to build a case to prove that the property is unsuitable. 

    If you're able to provide a few more details about your situation I would be happy to offer some advice to help you work out what options are available.

    Hope to hear from you again soon.

    Best wishes
  • sky67
    sky67 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    It's private rented but totally unsuitable accommodation due to my disabilities I'm totally house bound n reliey on family to do everything for me
  • Debbie_Scope
    Debbie_Scope Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi @sky67,

    It sounds like you would benefit from an Occupational Therapist's assessment at home to see if there are any aids or adaptations which will help you to manage in the property. If there's nothing suitable and the OT assesses that the property isn't suitable for you, you can then contact your housing options team at your local council to see if you can apply for housing from them.

    It can be quite a long process and there's no guarantees that there will be any suitable housing for you, but much depends on the difficulties you're having at the property. Are you able to tell me a bit more about why the property is unsuitable due to your disabilities? 

    Best wishes
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Member Posts: 100 Courageous
    Hello @sky67
    Follow the advice given above by @Debbie_Scope and you should get a result. I was moved into more appropriate accomodation by my local social housing by doing exactly that; my social landlord is excellent when it comes to stuff like this, but Its a process, and can take a bit of time. So, sooner you get the ball rolling, the sooner it could be done? My mate lived in a privately rented property over the water in Liverpool, and it was totally unsuitable for a number of reasons - access/egress, state of the building, unsavoury neighbours and a bad area, but his pleas to social housing to be moved into more fitting accomodation fell on deaf ears at first. His sister organised an occupational therapists assessment, he also contacted his MP, and suddenly the housing association saw things his way. Sometimes things just need a little bit of extra push, and thats where an OT assessment would be very helpful. Good luck, sky67; I was in a similar situation to yours last year, and now I wake up every day in a lovely home, in great surroundings with ace neighbours, and never imagined that I'd get a place like this. Start the ball rolling.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.