Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Personal Independence Payment - Prompting
“Prompting” means reminding, encouraging or explaining by another person.
I have an important concern over the issue of prompting. That is, can anyone give me some advice, or clarification about the DWP guidelines/rules for PIP "prompting", please.
For example, in the PIP descriptor, Preparing Food, d. Needs prompting to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points.
I have read that the person doing that actual prompting to someone who needs it does NOT need to be present with that person when they prompt them, but can instead give the prompting by either telephone, text or email. Does anyone know if that is true, please? Alos, can the person who does the prompting be a friend/family member?
- 52.8K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 275 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.1K Talk about money
- 2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 697 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 749 Autism and neurodiversity
- 923 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.