Benefit calculator and how to apply — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Benefit calculator and how to apply

just completed the benefit calculator filling a helpful reply from one of the members on forum and from information I’ve given it tells me a calculation I’m entitled too. How do I apply please? As I’ve recently stopped working aged 48 and never had to deal with this situation before.
thank you 


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Max

    Which benefit are you looking for ?
    ESA / UC or PIP?

    Just google the benefit you want to claim and the gov site will tell you how


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • max123
    max123 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Not sure which , I’ve also seen now there’s a “how to claim” after I’ve completed the survey . All new to me and appears a bit of a minefield
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi max123 - cockney rebel above has identified the benefits which would be the most likely for someone to claim at the age of 48 if they had to stop working - I'm assuming on health grounds? ESA (employment and support allowance) is for people who are too sick to work and who cannot get statutory sick pay. There is an 'income-related' version of ESA, and also a contribution based one, which can be paid if you have a good national insurance history. Just to complicate things, you need to consider Universal Credit and whether it is in your area yet for people who are too sick to work. The benefits calculator you used will tell you about Universal Credit in your area. UC can be paid on top of contribution based ESA, but not at the same time as income-related ESA.
    Personal Independence Payment (PIP) may also be available, and is paid on top of all other benefits. It isn't means tested, has no capital limit, and no national insurance rules. You also need to think about how you might get help for your housing costs, and again the calculator will help you with that.
    If you can let us know which benefits the calculator has identified for you, then we can post links to the appropriate claiming pages on the website.
    I hope this helps!

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.