Temporary accommodation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Temporary accommodation

daz66
daz66 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi i became homeless on 29/09/2017 and the local council placed us into emergency accommodation which has now become temporary accommodation.
The accommodation is totally unsuitable for my disabilities, i had a major spinal operation this year, there are times when i require the use of my wheelchair, yet i can't access the temporary accommodation with my chair due to the steep slope and steps outside, there is a wheelchair access throught the managers office, but we are unble to use this, i have contacted adult social care several times to arrange a care assessment plus a careers assessment for my wife, but they are not interested in helping us.
I have another 8 weeks of this as we have we been allocated a property, but unforuently it is not ready till January 2018,and basically i can't cope, the room is 10ft x 9ft Just, There is noway i can fit my wheelchair in the room, there is no chair for me to sit in, therefore i have to stay on the bed all day.
As the council knew of my medical condition i was told that i would be placed in suitable accommodation, i spoke to the owner of the property and they said the council said i only needed a ground floor room. The only thing that is suitable is there is a wet room, i can't use the shaired kitchen as the oven is too low.One of the tenants that has a room directly above us has no respect for anyone else and keeps us awake till gone 2am, we have asked to be moved but they are not interested.
My consultant has seen pictures of the room and is totally disgusted by the treatment we have received to the point he has written to say how much this is affecting my rehabilitaion.
I also suffer with mental health issues, depression and anxiety plus i was recently diagnosed with stress and trauma related asthma.
To make things worse i have just found out that my mum has stage 4 cancer and hasn't been given a long term outlook, and i have been housed further away from her.
This whole situation is totally draining me not only emossionally and financially.
please could i have some advise
Regards Darren Higgins

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Darren and welcome

Sounds like you are in a less than perfect place.
    Have you tried asking the CAB for help ?
    I think you may need f2f advice so maybe call the Scope help line for better help

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @daz66, welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear about your current situation, it must be really tough to carry on living somewhere which clearly isn't suitable for your needs. As CR says, have you tried Citizens Advice? They may have useful contacts who can help get this sorted out.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on, and we'll do our best to advise you!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.