PIP Mandatory Decision refused. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Mandatory Decision refused.

Options
susiesassy10
susiesassy10 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone,
My son was on DLA , middle rate and low rate for mobility. PIP assessement was reported as false/ ignored what we said/ by a Nurse whom has no recorded quailfications on the NMC reg. We appealed and the M.D was sent out within 1 day. Anyway I am sure we are not alone in this. We have 4 years of Hospital report which were ignored. We are going to appeal and hopefully the Tribunal people will listen to him /us.
Really just looking for some support from others in similar position.
Thanks 
Susie 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @susiesassy10, and welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry to hear this, it must have been really tough news to receive that decision. As you say, unfortunately you're not alone and many of our community members have experienced similar situations. All the best for your appeal, Scope have some guidance on appealing a DWP decision that you may like to look at, and just let us know if you have any specific queries throughout the process. 
  • Annabelle26
    Annabelle26 Scope Member Posts: 105 Pioneering
    Options
    I am just going through the same thing for myself.  I was on DLA for years for various problems.  Was asked to apply for PIP.  Listed my problems etc on the application form.  I went for the Health Assessment, saw a young nurse who in 1/2 hour decided there was nothing wrong with me.  The DWP have gone with her report rather than the various Doctors I listed so I have lost the benefit.  I have put in a Mandatory Review which is the first step in the appeal process and am waiting to hear about it.  I have also complained to the Healthcare Provider who did the Assessment.  Best of luck with your appeal.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is very important to understand the differences between DLA and PIP

PIP is a benefit based on functionality rather than condition. The assessment is to determine what help you need to complete certain daily living tasks. Although medical history and evidence are useful to establish why you might have problems on thier own they will not secure an award for PIP.

To understand the points system, descriptors and the criteria for an award a good place to start is the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

This will give you an indication what is required in each descriptor. It is also very useful to use the DWP terminology when makinfg a claim and remember to cite the reliability factors of safety, repeatedly, to an acceptable standard and in a timely fashion in each case.

Many of the descriptor have common factors, if you have trouble preparing food due to grip for example then it would also be probable that you will have trouble with the washing and bathing descriptor as well as the  dressing and undressing one.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.