If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, my name is Marie and my daughter has just been refused pip after getting dla for 13 years

marniej2marniej2 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2017 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hope I can get some advice 
applied for pip for my daughter she has aspergers and been in receipt of dla for 13 years 
I’m hiessinh part of this was I didn’t sense in all health reports from 13 years ago when she went through few years of hospitals assements and seeing diffrrant health professionals
yhese are old so I havnt got any of it anymore so I don’t send it in
all I sent was a letter from gp saying she had a diagnosis of aspergers
even when she was interviews the assessor didn’t really wrote what we told her she has difficulty with most activities of living but was given 0 for all I’m totally gobsmaked and daughter is suicidal to the point she isn’t sleeping anxiety levels are very high and wants to go to sleep and never wake up 
I feel awful for her 
I have contacted my Mp to appeal
any suggestions on what eveidence to get to send
ive requested go notes on my old assessments but not sure if I can get them 
I’m also going to ring the school as o was statemented and also had Ed psychologist reports and speach and language assessments but I cannot find the original diagnoses by the consultant and can’t remember who would hold a copy?
amy advice gratefully received 


  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marniej2, and welcome!

    I'm so sorry to hear about your current situation, it must be really tough on both you and your daughter. It's great that you've contacted your MP, have you also begun the appeals process for overturning the decision? Let us know, and we'll do what we can to help you. 

    Does your daughter have any mental health support in place? We have a mental health advisor who you might like to have a chat to if this is something you're concerned about, and please remember to seek immediate help if you feel your daughter is at risk. 
  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    edited December 2017
    @marniej2 You can also request that your daughter's DLA evidence be used for a Mandatory Reconsideration. They won't use it unless you ask.
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    This is one of the worries I have about PIP. By the time I get assessed I shall have been disabled so long I won't have any current reports except whatever the GP can provide. I was told it was all delayed due to a backlog but it just keeps dragging on and on.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • sue66sue66 Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    wildlife said:
    @marniej2  You can also request that your daughter's DLA evidence be used for a Mandatory Reconsideration. They won't use it unless you ask.
    Interesting wildlife, i still have my DLA evidence i think but havn't PIP changed the walking distance to less now to be eligable down to 10 metres.

  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    @sue66 No it's 20 metres. The DLA evidence shows that conditions are long standing as pointed out by DWP when my claim was being done. I had 2 physio reports 6 years apart. It also may show when diagnoses were made and proof of conditions. Yes PIP criteria is different but the medical evidence needed is still the same as for DLA.  
  • felicityfelicity Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I was so worried about this. Fate would have it that chatting to a lady on public transport one day she suggested I went to the Joseph O'Connell centre in Holyhead (I live on Anglesey). I booked an appointment and they were brilliant. They advised on what documents In needed to support my son's claim, they filled in the form in short they did everything! I don't know what they are officially, but they do classes for people who need retraining. I think they are something to do with job centres. Anyway their advice resulted in my son getting PIP.
  • felicityfelicity Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Sorry it is called the J E O'Toole centre in Holyhead and is a welfare rights centre linked to Anglesey County Council.
Sign in or join us to comment.