Struggling with housework — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling with housework

Leggy
Leggy Community member Posts: 18 Listener
hi I’m really struggling with housework etc I live alone and have a few health issues. Could someone help me . How much will it cost me for housework help . Where is the best and safest organisation to go to I’m on slabs high plus another benefit. Money is very tight but need to find out costs I would love to downsize but can’t afford it I can’t do garden ironing anymore so upset as I hate asking if I could afford to pay it would help my independence.

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Leggy I suggest you start by having a benefit check to see if you could increase your income. What is "slabs"? I have a friend who cleans for me. She works for herself and I pay her £25 for 2 hours every 2 weeks. But we only have a small bungalow. It would no doubt cost more if you employ someone from a cleaning company. Don't be afraid to ask for help, everyone needs help at some point in their lives. What age group are you in? 
  • Leggy
    Thank you for replying wildlife I meant to put DLA High. I do ask but my daughter lives far away from me You can’t just ask neibour to do your housework plus both my neibours are disabled. I’ve had meningitis long story but I need help filling in forms talking on the phone only just managing texting but I will ask my daughter to help me about benefit review. Sorry about spelling mistakes. Just joined scope . Have nice day
  • Leggy
    Hi wildlife forgot to say my age 60 in March my memory is poor .
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Leggy,

Welcome to the community. We had a post on here about cleaning back in the spring that you might find interesting.

Here's Scope's benefit calculator if you're interested.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Leggy As you're coming up to 60 Age UK would probably be a good place to start accessing some help with benefits and pointing you in the right direction for help at home. Or if you rent from the council they also may help with benefits. Our council do. I'm 67 and asking for help doesn't bother me at all. I cared for family members and worked as a carer so it's just a reversal of roles to have someone care for me. Hope you can find some help soon...  
  • Allen
    Allen Community member Posts: 55 Listener
     Good so you can help my name is Bryony Allen 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.