Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Mental Health Issues,Help and Talking to People
hi, l was diagnosed with Depression,Anxiety with Panic Attacks. This all happened 12 yrs ago, and it has progressively got worse. At the outset l was given all the help available, (crisis team for 6weeks,then psychiatrist, and counsellors.) l didn’t know what l expected,but nobody could understand why l couldn’t speak to people l didn’t know. The crisis team did what they could and decided that as l wasn’t under the circumstances allowed to self medicate. The psychiatrist’s said that l wasn’t helping myself by not talking to them, one guy got me cornered in a room and said, “ if you killed your wife and told me l can’t tell anybody.” at this l walked out and never returned. I was forced to see counsellors, 1 as young as my granddaughter, not appropriate. And an older lady who put me on a timer, she clicked the stopwatch as l entered the room, and then was surprised when l wouldn’t talk to her. I never went back. My Gp, is my bolt hole if it gets too much for me, but there time is limited, and they seem to change every 6 months, or so. I am of a generation when what happened behind closed doors, stayed behind closed doors. My wife and l have been together for 45yrs, and she knows nothing of my past.
lt getting harder.
lt getting harder.
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 764 Work and employment
- 579 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 278 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.3K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.