Employment and careers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

NHS Work Disability Employment Standard

SUZIASUZIA Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2017 in Employment and careers
Hi, can anyone help me with trying to understand or find out any info on this new standard which is supposed to be included in the new NHS contract. I really could do with some advice on how this is supposed to work. I have tried multiple avenues within the NHS with no result. I saw on twitter that scope has been involved and would be grateful for any help. I am a employee of the NHS and being affected I believe at work by them not having correct procedures in place for staff with disabilities. Can you help? Kind Regards 

Replies

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,528 Disability Gamechanger
    I would simply concentrate on your existing rights under the Eqiality Act 2010 as a presumably disabled person e.g. the right to reasonable adjustments. 
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    There is some information about the standards here that you can read through. They say:

The NHS Equality and Diversity Council (EDC) has taken another pivotal step to advance equality within the NHS. The Council has recommended that a Workforce Disability Equality Standard (WDES) should be mandated via the NHS Standard Contract in England from April 2018, with a preparatory year from 2017-18.

If you are having issues at work, have you spoken to your management or HR?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
Sign in or join us to comment.