(SMI) Support for Mortgage Interest ending - Page 8 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

(SMI) Support for Mortgage Interest ending

Options

Comments

• Quackkers3
    Quackkers3 Community member Posts: 12 Courageous
    Options
    Here is the facebook link for The Better Mortgage Company

https://www.facebook.com/thebettermortgage/

• sandraM
    sandraM Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I do read your posts almost daily but sometimes feel too depressed to respond.  I have been to see several properties,  but not got any further and my savings are being depleted even further having to pay taxis to view the properties.  So far its either my offer hasn't been accepted or the property is unsuitable for my needs.  Another sleepless night :'( as if my pain and sleeping pattern isn't bad enough!
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Options
    Martin Lewis was on the news this morning talking about SMI, he said he did not fully understand it but people have to act quickly to sign up for the loan.  If he doesn't understand what chance do we have?
  • ataloss2018
    ataloss2018 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thought it was odd that Martin didn't know when the SMI ends, he seemed rushed so perhaps he had a lapse of concentration.

Martin also said that only 10% of people claiming SMI have accepted the loan.
  • jess8789
    jess8789 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Martin Lewis has not read The Loans for Mortgage Interest Regulations 2017, SI 2017/725 properly. 

Regulation 19 of this statutory instrument deals with the transitional provisions. It makes it clear that SMI payments will continue until 10 weeks after the Loan Offer Date (in circumstances where the signed Loan Agreement and Loan Documentation is returned to the Department of Work and Pensions 6 weeks after the Loan Offer Date) 

However there is no time limit set for the date by which the Loan Offer Date must be made for the purpose of these transitional regulations. For example in the event a Loan Offer Date is made ten years hence in April 2028, it can’t be the case that the SMI payments will continue to be made until ten weeks post that day (ie June 2028) if the signed Loan Agreement and Loan Documentation is received by the DWP six weeks after that April 2028 Loan Offer Date?!

Telephone and written enquiries seeking clarification from the DWP have been futile. Nobody is even aware of this regulation let alone understands its contents.

I have written to my MP asking him to assist in confirming the latest date that SMI payments can be made (assuming the signed Loan Agreement and Loan Documentation are received by the DWP six weeks after the Loan Offer Date). This is needed in order to enable us to identify the amount of time left to consider alternative arrangements to the draconian step of granting charges on our homes to the government.

It is unacceptable that such an important date is seemingly not readily identifiable. Perhaps some of you could make similar enquiries to increase the pressure for clarification?

Thank you 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m in the position where I took out an interest only mortgage while working full time then became ill and was left with a mortgage and a low income. If I were to sell my flat I would probably only be able to repay the mortgage and have nowhere to live. Also no one who becomes ill presumes that their illness is going to be lifelong (unless it’s diagnosed) and they hope that their circumstance should will change. So for me help with mortgage interest has kept a roof over my head and stopped me from having to sell my flat and try to get a much more costly rented flat which I would qualify for housing benefit for . So that would cost the government lots more than the tiny amount I was getting for SMI. People say why should the govt help me to buy my house? Yes I can see their point but I’m only getting some of the interest paid while I am ill. I will still have to find the money to pay off the mortgage at term. So like many others I don’t own my flat it’s the bank that’s owns it. If someone were to say to me okay we will sell your flat, pay your mortgage off, find you suitable rented accomodation, sort out your rent and your removals and make sure your health is okay then Bingo! I  am in ! Unfortunately I am not going to get that help and there’s are very few rented homes available. So it’s a catch 22. Yes I agree people should not benefit from the government paying their mortgage but I do think we should be treated individually as we’ve all got different circumstances. 
  • heavenhelp
    heavenhelp Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Options
    Does anyone know who are the Directors or shareholders for SERCO? I asked the person from DWP and they don't know
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @debbiedo49,
    I wish someone would do that for me too.
    i however have a repayment mortgage and some equity but cannot move as cannot get another mortgage, not on benefits.

i will cost the government more in rehousing people and paying the rent, council tax etc than it would paying a small portion of the interest!!!

another waste of money 
  • sleepy1
    Options
    @heavenhelp, not sure what this has to do with SMI but no matter a link below should hopefully lead you to the right information. ATB

https://www.serco.com/about/the-board-and-governance
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes i have a buyer, my smi stopped this month £12.50  a month,  what a relief, i'm going to live in a wheelchair friendly lodge, with a ramp,and balcony where i can sit outside, no more mortgage, but most important no money for these greedy tories.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @nanof6,
    congratulations on you very own lodge, sounds wonderful.

enjoy the peace
  • heavenhelp
    heavenhelp Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Options
    https://www.serco.com/media/998/998.original.pdf#page=1&zoom=110,-134,755
    Approval of capital projects, investments, acquisitions, disposals, new country entry and initiation, defence or settlement of material litigation, regulatory, arbitration or other formal legal proceedings involving the Company or any subsidiary undertaking which are material to the Group
    8. Setting and approval of treasury policies, including any material changes to the current banking covenants;

• URANIUM234UK
    URANIUM234UK Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Hi Everyone, at the end of the day , I see this and have done it myself. Please follow your own guts feeling and get other advice !
    1. I took out the SMI loan ... you can do this at any time, you can have upto a 1 year break in a claim of this also.
    2. Why? maybe in the future - before it needs to be repaid, only if you have profit after selling your home (and only when you want to sell) - another govt, eg. Labour, may Cancel this poilicy! Who knows?
    3. You keep your home, as is, status quo, just keep paying as normal - yes, as it is a loan now and no longer free.
    4. Well, no matter, it seems that it does not affect any other benefit - again please check ! and you still keep your home and continue, hopefully happily  !!!!
    SO EITHER DO IT, OR DO SOMETHING ELSE, OR LOOSE IT !!!!

It is not too later to take out the loan; you can do it at any time - AGAIN PLEASE CHECK!

This was my choice, and I totally abhorre this - the govt love rich and hate poor ! totally dispicable !

Again, Please sign the PETITION I have 'linked' previously 

Best of luck all ... please also note the govts site gives information but it is totally incorrect (we have words for this don't we !) 

Note: 1. if you have mortgage jointly - no matter you can get the loan (without their consent); 2. if you have people living there - you need their signature ! ... so they say in their notes that come with the applilcation pack.

NB. Request the Applicaiton Pack and read the notes !  they answer many questions ! (you are under no obligation).
  • sandraM
    Options
    Think ahead! For the others that have decided to move home.   Plan your next house carefully.  

Check out the neighbours before committing to buy and check with car insurance company what bracket the postcode is in.
     I've found out the hard way.  A hike of £340 until renewal 8 months away and neighbours that have an anti social behaviour order.  I don't think  I can feel any lower.  :'(
  • sleepy1
    Options
    Hi @sandraM, hope you are ok and things have improved and you are getting along with your new neighbours, we all need a safe haven and all the stress of moving to an unfamiliar area can be daunting.  Good advice on thinking ahead and checking things out.

Try not to dwell on the ASBO too much unless it concerns you directly, other people nearby will be aware of what is going on and know all the history behind it so let them deal with it.

ATB Rosie
  • sandraM
    Options
    Thankyou @sleepy1. I haven't actually got to live in the house yet as the sale has been delayed. I am now homeless and having to impose on friends and family.  My situation is far from ideal. No wet room to shower in etc etc.
  • sleepy1
    Options
    Hi Sandra, so I guess your officially a sofa surfer now! 
    Hope things improve for you soon and you get that independence back.  It's not right that you had to move in the first place having spent all that money getting your home adapted.

At least we are coming up to summer now (maybe) and your friends could get the hosepipe out  :)

• debbiedo49
    Options
    Hi, ive been having issues with getting smi from the get go. I filled out the paperwork . I sent it away at some cost, and hear don’t nothing. My jcp advisor looks at my record so whenever I sign on and that’s how ive found out my smi situation. So on their advice I phoned smi to be told I had Brenna refuse do smi and that’s i didn’t send my paperwork back in time. They told me to phone another dept to trace my paperwork to get the details. When i did this the time couldn’t find my paperwork but started a search for them and sent me out  another set. I asked for the decision to be clarified. So I signed the papers again and posted again recorded and months have gone by with no decision. So today my jcp read my notes and told me its been refused till march  2019 no reason given. This was dated 7/11/2018 and yet Ive had nothing from smi. So it looks like I won’t never getting any help and I have arrears building up from the start. My jcp has emailed them to call me and hopefully I will get some answers. I don’t have a clue what’s to do about it now. Any advice please? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,289 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How long have you been claiming JSA for? For SMI you need to have been claiming a qualifying benefit for 39 consecutive weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debbiedo49
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.