Debt — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


michelleR Member Posts: 12 Connected
my son has aspergers and ADHD he has been in a relation with a girl for the last two years he has come home and has told us he has a fair bit of debt where he has taken out loans for furniture, a car for her and a deposit for a flat, she has the deposit back as they haven’t moved into the flat and the car is in her name so he is left paying over £100 a month for 5 years is there anything I can do as she has clearly manipulated him into getting this loan for her benefit 


  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @michelleR unless there is something in writing I doubt there is much you can do. There are too many people now manipulating others and reaping the benefits. It is becoming an epidemic. It's not clear whether they live together now or were just planning too. If they were there might be some recourse using cohabitation laws but even then they are mostly used to protect women and not men. Unless he feels they still have some sort of future together then I would suggest he just walk away. Even if he did feel that way I would advise to stop now before it becomes completely unmanageable. Even if he goes only that far, if she is who you believe her to be, she will end it anyway.

    I am not an expert so maybe if there is one on this site the might advise you differently.

    I would suggest you provide him as much emotional support as you can because it sounds like rough times are ahead for him.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.