Pip assessments. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessments.

Ghandi
Ghandi Community member Posts: 19 Connected
hi, happy new year everybody.
just a quick question, how many people am l allowed to take to my pip Assessment.
l obviously have to take my wife who doesn’t understand the benefit system, but l have an adviser who knows me, and understands the system. Regards. Ghandi.

Comments

• Jazzguitar
    Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
    Get a Social Worker. Neville
  • Ghandi
    Ghandi Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Hi Neville. Due to government cuts l no longer have access to a social worker or welfare rights advisor. I have an advisor who worked for the local welfare rights at my local council offices, who now freelances. I am at a loss as to where to turn to next, l asked for a home visit, backed by a doctors letter, but received a phone call today telling me that l have an assessment appointment at the centre, and that l must attend, as my request for a home visit had been declined.
    regards. Ghandi.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ghandi

Phone the assessment company's helpline for advice.
  • Jazzguitar
    Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
    Beru good advice
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Ghandi - either Atos or Capital will be the providers of the face to face assessment, and they each have slightly different ways of doing things. They have both been told by the DWP that claimants should be encouraged to bring another person with them for reassurance, or to help answer questions. Ultimately, who they allow into the assessment is a matter for the assessor. The person you take with you should be the person who understands best how your condition affects you and is able to help you convey that to the assessor - it's not really a meeting where the advocacy skills of a benefits adviser should be needed, as the decision on whether or not you get awarded PIP is the responsibility of the DWP decision maker, not the assessor. If your wife helps look after you, and understands how your disability affects you, then it is appropriate to take her, as long as you are both aware of the points system.
    As long as you are aware of the activities and descriptors which will gain you the number of points necessary, then you can be your own best advocate. Make sure you keep these points in mind when you are being assessed. You can find out some very useful information about the points system from this Scope website, from Citizens Advice, Disability Rights UK and www.benefitsandwork.co.uk.
    I am concerned that you have been refused a home visit, however. When deciding whether to grant a home visit, Atos and Capita have both been told to take into account issues such as: medical conditions that prevent travel; medical verification of the severity of the condition that precludes travel to a consultation; accessibility issues relating to the intended venue.  I agree with Matilda to call the company's helpline for advice on this home visit issue, as you may be able to argue that the decision to refuse is breaching their agreement with the DWP. However, even if they agree, you may have to wait a long time for a home visit to be arranged, so if you decide to go to the assessment then good luck, and please bear in mind the importance of being prepared before you go.

Hope this helps,

Jayne

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.