Disabled but needed a holiday — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Disabled but needed a holiday

samparrot123 Member Posts: 50 Courageous
hi my wife was diagnosed with inoperable cancer in her back-passage about three years ago ,she underwent radical chemo and radio and is still a oncologist,her tumour had eaten through the wall of her back passage into her Vigina,it's also left her with a fistula in her back passage ,which gives her infection after infection and left her with a illiostomy bag for life ,also a very large hernia,and other issues ,my point is that after talking to her oncologist he said that she needed a good holiday ,so our whole family went to menorca for two weeks with my wife in a wheelchair,now she has had her DLA to PIP form should we say about the holiday ?her doctor has given her a letter to send to DWP stating that she is severely disabled also she gave her an emergency pack to go on holiday ,what should she do?HELP


  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 603 Pioneering
    I wouldn't mention it. They will assume it's normal for her to be able to go on holiday.
  • DianeWa32669709
    DianeWa32669709 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I can sympathise with your wife as I have something similar however I’m still waiting for a clear diagnosis as I’m under neurologist for Tarlov cyst, but my main concern is that it is so uncomfortable to sit. I’ve had enough as everyday I have pain, like your wife. I’ll let you know if and when I get a diagnosis’s . Fistulars are difficult as they can track from one part of your body to the other. I hope your wife feels better soon the depression sucks a big


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.