Would my hubby qualify? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would my hubby qualify?

Options
laylacain12
laylacain12 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all. 

Need some advice. 

My husband has a condition which makes his bloody pressure so low that he passes out on a daily basis.
He has medication he has to take 3 times a day and isn't allowed to drive. 
Because we have 3 children and a little bit of debt he is still persistent about working. Also he is a proud man and thinks he should be providing for his family.
He passes out at work but because he works next door to our house I pop in loads and check on him. 
Also his work are really good about keeping an eye on him. 
So will his passing out spells I have to drive him around and to and from hospital appointments (intact he's not driven for 3 years because of this), I don't leave him with the children for long periods of time incase he passes out while looking after them, I had to help him out of the bath sometimes when he feels like he's about to pass out. He can cook but burns himself regularly but being a stubborn man he likes to help me. 

So my question is would my husband qualify for PIP? Or not because he works full time? 
He does have to have a lot of time off for hospital appointments and for those days that he's so poorly he can't get out of bed but mostly he pushes himself too go to work as he doesn't like letting anyone down. 
Kind regards.
Layla 

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    You can claim work and PIP.

He has to prove that due to his medical condition, he has care and / or mobility needs. 
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @laylacain12

and welcome to the forums. In answer to your question I believe there is a benefits checker that gives you a rough idea if it is worth applying for a benefit such as PIP.
    Sorry not exactly sure where it is else I would post up a link.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi laylacain and welcome

Try the B&W PIP self test to see if your husband might qualify

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

Please come back with any questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @laylacain12

Welcome to the community. Scope have a benefits checker that you can use to check for all possible benefits. The PIP self test will tell you if he might be eligible for PIP.
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi laylacain and welcome

Try the B&W PIP self test to see if your husband might qualify

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

Please come back with any questions

CR

Hi i clicked on the link but it came back error so i tried the other one given further down but i got unavailable? Or was this link only meant for  laylacain?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Sue

You should be able to use the link

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello Sue

I hope you could get the links to work, and as already posted you can work and still claim PIP.  As ultimately, it is about whether a person satisfies the PIP descriptors and is awarded sufficient points. 

I also wanted to add that when assessing a PIP claim a decision maker has to assess if there is a real possibility of harm occurring, and that it is not only the likelihood of harm occurring but also the severity of the consequences of possible harm that may occur.

So for example you mentioned that you ensure that your husband is safe when bathing and cooking, that is there is a real possibility that your husband could severely injure himself by burning himself or passing out and going under water when in a bath, or hitting his head if in a shower. This is a real possibility as he passes out on a regular basis. The only caveat I would add is whether your husband has  a warning that he is about to pass out and therefore could move himself out of harms way. 

Please post again if you have any further queries.

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.