What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How do I get a Social Worker?

JazzguitarJazzguitar Member Posts: 180 Courageous
I live in Whittleigh Plymouth Devon. Neville


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Social Workers are linked to your local council. You can search the internet for your area to find their number. Whether it's Mental or physical health conditions you can self refer for a needs assessment. Either that or you can go through your GP.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Jazzguitar     Please  can i suggest the statement given is excellent advice.  Also be aware that they I am afraid do have assessments and also may I have can only give you limited time.  I say this because I applied for one.  Took about a couple of months then assessment what do I need.  By the middle of the year came back only offered 12 weeks support.  Then is was restricted to 8 weeks.  This is because of work overload and the amount of people contacting councils.  With regard mental health and other needs.  I know this because I contacted GP and the doctor told me..  Used instead mental health charity.  Had 3 years with them.  A lot of mental health charities have what they call floating support.  This means they will see you on the start of initial support lets say once a week.  Then  a review say 2 weeks. and so on.  The question I have to ask what do want?  A lot mental health charities do take on clients with disabilities.  It is your choice.  Problem is all charities and councils in all areas of country are stretched to breaking point.  I know am client and even though in my eyes might be not good.  Contract ended after 3 years.  I am sorry what you are going through.  Speak to some one in SCOPE who could advise you.   This why I never stayed with same charity all the time.  Had to find support because of funding and all that it is.  I wish you the best.    It is your choice.  You have to know what you want.  The people concerned ask you that straight away.  They do at the initial assessment.  Your goals your aims in life.  Take care my friend 
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Neville,

    It's not something I'm an expert in as it's a bit outside of the benefits system, but I would look on your local council's website for adult social care, contact them, and ask for an assessment.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • JazzguitarJazzguitar Member Posts: 180 Courageous
    Thank you for your replies. Neville in Whitleigh Plymouth Devon
Sign in or join us to comment.