How do I get a Social Worker? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I get a Social Worker?

Jazzguitar
Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
I live in Whittleigh Plymouth Devon. Neville

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Social Workers are linked to your local council. You can search the internet for your area to find their number. Whether it's Mental or physical health conditions you can self refer for a needs assessment. Either that or you can go through your GP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Jazzguitar     Please  can i suggest the statement given is excellent advice.  Also be aware that they I am afraid do have assessments and also may I have can only give you limited time.  I say this because I applied for one.  Took about a couple of months then assessment what do I need.  By the middle of the year came back only offered 12 weeks support.  Then is was restricted to 8 weeks.  This is because of work overload and the amount of people contacting councils.  With regard mental health and other needs.  I know this because I contacted GP and the doctor told me..  Used instead mental health charity.  Had 3 years with them.  A lot of mental health charities have what they call floating support.  This means they will see you on the start of initial support lets say once a week.  Then  a review say 2 weeks. and so on.  The question I have to ask what do want?  A lot mental health charities do take on clients with disabilities.  It is your choice.  Problem is all charities and councils in all areas of country are stretched to breaking point.  I know am client and even though in my eyes might be not good.  Contract ended after 3 years.  I am sorry what you are going through.  Speak to some one in SCOPE who could advise you.   This why I never stayed with same charity all the time.  Had to find support because of funding and all that it is.  I wish you the best.    It is your choice.  You have to know what you want.  The people concerned ask you that straight away.  They do at the initial assessment.  Your goals your aims in life.  Take care my friend 
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Neville,

It's not something I'm an expert in as it's a bit outside of the benefits system, but I would look on your local council's website for adult social care, contact them, and ask for an assessment.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Jazzguitar
    Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
    Thank you for your replies. Neville in Whitleigh Plymouth Devon

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.