Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
psychologically tortured for telling the truth about severe back pain.
I fully agree that people who fake a disability to get a benefit that they are not entitled to should be named and shamed. However what about those genuine cases that have been totally persecuted for telling the truth. I worked since leaving school in engineering had my own business and was a full time student for 3 years. I was involved in a road traffic accident that wasn't my fault when a car pulled out of a side road.and smashed into my motorcycle. I was only 17 at the time and was off my work for 5 weeks with my injuries. Unknown to me but I had brocken my back and started to have severe pain in my legs pelvis and Lumbar spine. Anyone then who claimed to be struggling with back pain was treated with suspicion and cynicism. You must be lazy' your a liar' and a chancer. Back pain your just swinging your leg. Yes that's how I was treated for over twenty years. I had absolutely no choice but to keep working while struggling with severe pain. The facts were that I was telling the truth and by the time I was 34 I could not walk as my spine had become severely damaged. It was broken off the pelvis and had slide forward almost sliding off the front. The two largest spinal discs had been destroyed and I lost 3 inches in height. A then failed Instrumental spinal fusion by an incompetent surgeon who is now struck off left me severely disabled and in horrendous chronic pain. A failed fusion meant that my Thoracic spine has now been damaged and my quality of life is garbage. Without my numerous medication such as Severodol morphine I think I would have hanged myself in total despair. It took my Member of parliament and my European MSP to get the DLA to give me what I was legally entitled to by law. I was persecuted and treated like dirt on your shoe for simply telling the truth. God help anyone who is thinking of applying for DLA. The whole application process near killed me. I have no time what so ever in anyone who fakes an illness but there are many who are genuine and they get persecuted and are treated very badly.
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 760 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.