Multiple problems — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Multiple problems

Options
Good_Man
Good_Man Community member Posts: 19 Connected
edited January 2018 in Coffee lounge
I don't know where to start,
I had a severe episode of Sciatica, at the end of 2016 and this left me with paralysis of the left leg, after a couple of weeks the feeling returned but I was left with numb patches in my thigh and foot. I also had episodes of a completely numb leg and continuous back ache. April 2017 I had a re-currence of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and this led to depression. December 2017 I had a heart attack.

Currently I am in pain every day, I suffer varying degrees of back pain and leg pain, pins and needles in my hands and arms that would make a gladiator cry. I can say that at no point during any waking moment I am pain free and comfortable, it has been like this since November 2016.

How can I make the medical establishment recognise I have a problem? and how can I make them recognise that they have done nothing to help? I feel that I am being fobbed off as a mallingering, whining attention seeker. (I don't claim benefits but have applied for pip since the heart attack)

I was referred to a pain clinic in February I had an appointment with dr in May, I saw a nurse in October and have had two appointments postponed since then.

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Good_Man and welcome to the community.

I have been suffering with sciatica for around 12/13 years. What worked well for me was osteopathy, even though they were the ones who told me that I would likely be in pain for the rest of my life. This treatment was via my doctor but was intended for short term treatment 6 to 12 sessions so was eventually stopped.

In 2012 I had an operation on my left ulna, which has improved things over time. Then in 2014 I had similar issues in my right hand but the conductivity tests was not conclusive and they said they would look at it again if it got worse. Towards the end of last year it got worse, along with pins and needles down the right arm, so I was retested. No change in the conductivity test for the right arm, though the left had shown some improvement. A drop in power in right hand grip. In short there is nothing they can do.

I was referred recently back to hospital after a consultation with my doctor but the conclusion was any further damage due ot the back problems would likely be permanent and so not a candidate for back surgery. In my case with a diagnosis of asthma and copd it was not considered the risks posed by the surgery out weigh the potential benefits.

The short version is that sometimes there is very little that they can do, unfortunately doctors are not always very good at communicating. 

I would suggest you go back to the doctor and ask to be reffered back to the pain clinic and explain what happened. Because of the risks they are likely to try less evasive treatments first to make it managable but there is nothing stopping you asking if operating would be an option.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Good_Man
    Good_Man Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    Thank you Geoark, since the heart attack my copd has accelerated out of control, the suspicion is, that I am on the wrong medication. This is currently under investigation. 
    I have another appointment with pain clinic next month, hopefully this one will go ahead and I will mention it then.

Thank you for the effort in responding, I hope your symptoms have reduced.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Good_Man I hope the appointment goes ahead for you.

Osteopathy did a lot to reduce the initial amount of pain I was in, over time I have had temporary flare ups, and in general it tends to go in peaks and troughs as to how much pain I am in.

It does tend to be much worse in the winter. This winter has been  a lot harder than normal and I currently have a cold which is making things worse with all the coughing and sneezing. I am hoping work will catch up with my promotion back in September in which case I will be in a position to pay for the osteopathy myself. So not too disheartened by it at the moment.

My weight tends to fluctuate between 15 and 16 stone, was around 12 stone before this started. But then I was also a lot more active. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.