Hi, my name is Amy36! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Amy36!

Options
Amy36
Amy36 Community member Posts: 6 Connected

Hi,

I am 36yrs. I don't know very much about cp. I was blue when born and had been deprived of oxygen several times during labour. I was promptly taken from Watford General to Great Ormond Street. My mum was told that I was brain damaged and I would "never dance" (that definitely NEVER came true - I love dancing!). I was in a little incubator for several days.

Any symptoms of cp - as far as I know - did not appear in the crucial 0-6yrs. Although it is possible that my mum was very closed off to any suggestion of otherwise: it was the early 1980s and she probably would not have wanted to hear anything other than me being in perfect health (she went through a lot so I forgive her!). 

I did well in my education but found it hard to focus due to often being very tired at school. I struggled with Maths and I still get really mixed up with Maths and numbers.

Now I have found a lot of problems relating to FATIGUE and anxiety. The anxiety always goes back to a fear of being TIRED. It's like I have tried to push ignore the tiredness as insignificant all my life and I can't do it anymore. I had a "breakdown" in September, this was linked to excessive fatigue and panic. Anyway, I don't want to drone on when people here have severe medical issues linked to their cp, as that doesn't seem fair. So to get to the point: someone has recently suggested that I may have very mild cp. It has sort of felt like a door opening, but I am not sure it is the right door to the right room?

But it may explain little things I have always just ignored like:

• People often ask if I have a limp or if I have hurt my foot. I don't know what they are talking about but so many people say it.
  • In bed I automatically curl up my left hand and arm into my chest. It's cosy, but I don't realize I am doing it! My ex boyfriends used to / and my husband now teases me about it!
  • I have had really bad fatigue over the past two years and vigorous exercise or rushing about too much is a no-no for me now, because of it;, but a few times I have lain in bed barely able to move and my arms and legs have random pains in them I cannot explain.
  • Really just this constant fatigue. It doesn't matter how much sleep I get. I am always foggy headed, yawning away, struggling to get through the day and by Friday I can be close to total shutdown. Then I spend the entire weekend recovering!

I feel really lucky that the doctors worked so hard for me and my mum when I was born, so I carry around a blessed feeling. I guess the question for me is, do I just carry on with the pacing etc. (for the fatigue) without medical help? Because really, there is nothing a doctor could do for me, I just have to look after myself? Also, is this going to get worse as I age? I suppose without a diagnosis - and I may be totally wrong on everything - you can't begin to make sense of anything.

x

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.