Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

disabled identification card

RomRom Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2018 in Disabled people

I was looking to see if there was any ID cards available to prove your disability and I found that there are two, which has confused me as I don't know which is more reliable/better than the other;
one is a National Disabled Identification (DID) Card 
and the other is an Access Card 
are both of these nationally recognisable? which of the two is better? 

Thank you 


  • Katy_ScopeKaty_Scope Member Posts: 60 Courageous
    Hi @Rom, thank you for getting in touch on the online community!

    My understanding is that both cards work in similar ways and both require you to provide some sort of evidence that you are disabled. The access card costs £15 for three years and the DID card costs £10 a year, or £13 for two years if this is made online.

    Here are the links to both websites and their FAQS:

    I hope this helps, if you have any further questions, please let us know! 

  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rom, and welcome to the community! As Katy says, both cards appear to be similar. I have an Access Card myself and it's been brilliant for me, but there will likely be benefits to both. Do have a look at the links above, having more information may help you to make a decision!
  • NystagmiteNystagmite Member Posts: 608 Pioneering
    Having done my own research, it seems that neither are widely accepted. Seems like a waste of money to me.
  • WebbisWebbis Member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi Nystagmite.  We have found one of these Cinema cards useful:
    My local cinema insists on someone having one if they need to make use of the 'carer comes free' provision. We didn't know it existed until one Christmas Eve we turned up and were told we'd need to pay for me to go in with her. (My daughter has CP - quadraplegic and totally dependent).  To give the cinema their due, they took one look at my daughter and agreed to waive it - just gave us a form to make sure we could apply for one.  It seems to be widely accepted.

    Until recently, it worked at our local theatre too but they have now insisted we go on a register and carry one of their owncards which is quite frustrating.

    It's a great pity that there is so much abuse of the provision to take a carer in free that organistions feel they have to protect themselves from fraud.

  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    Just another case of people wanting something for nothing @Webbis

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • NystagmiteNystagmite Member Posts: 608 Pioneering
    For one of the local football teams, DLA is enough. But you had to be on higher care or higher mobility. I had to fight to get a carers ticket. Bizarrely, either rate of attendance allowance is accepted though.
  • AnneHAnneH Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I filled in the online form and paid the money. I have been waiting weeks and weeks, still not received. I have enough emailed them loads of times, no reply. Would anyone know of any other way of contacting them or a contact number? Please 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,756 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NystagmiteNystagmite Member Posts: 608 Pioneering
    I've not had a problem getting my railcard either in the 9 years or so I've had one.

    Not bothered applying for any of these identity cards because I get the impression they're widely accepted and I'd rather not waste my money.
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AnneH, sorry to hear this. Which card is it that you're enquiring about? There should be a contact number on their website but I'm happy to find it for you- just let me know which one it is that you're waiting for. 
Sign in or join us to comment.