Hi, my name is wildorchid! nightmare — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is wildorchid! nightmare

wildorchid Member Posts: 1 Listener
long story, i have a son with life threatening asthma allergy , cardiac arrest life support ,esophegus  also  almost completely closed  souple years later ,once stretched had to have open fundiplication  left him with severe ibs. anxiety panic attacks ,does not eat or drink before he has to go out or while out ,after being discharged from pediatrics to adult ,was never referred to adult respiratory or adult psychologists .told he had been taught everything to keep him out of adult hospital .so hes 29 every day is all calculated doesnt go out much at all. did a degree at nui 1st class with distinction bcos he did no socializing was picked up and dropped off every day ,so i guess last 12 years gp has been writing his prescriptions and has to see practice nurse once year to se no change ,which never is .now his dla was stopped and there is an appeal in for pip cab advised apply esa that he should have been getting anyway .we are scotland .and our postcode not yet on universal credit ,he really wants to get this so he can get an independent assessment and want s to try and work  never has .so went to gp whom i left 2 years ago as my fathers death was questionable ,my gp then made it very difficult for me as he does not like to be questioned and i could not take it further because of my mum shes still there elderly ,so now my son whom took a lot for him to go walked in and explained wanted to apply for esa and why .reply what you want esa for .where are you living he knows fine well he lives with me as his scripts for one say that ..you got degree you can walk you can work ,i know a lot of this is because of his issues with me and he cant get to me il give you a 2 week one and he put on it has a degree can work ,and you come and see me in a week !! im not happy with this are you living like a recluse,my son even let him read letter he wrote for pip which goes through his life and daily regime,,,,,what can i do ...


  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @wildorchid and welcome to community.

    My main advice at the moment is change his GP if you can. Once done you/he should request a complete review of his current health (physical and mental) and prescriptions. 

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wildorchid, and welcome- so sorry to hear about your situation.

    You've done the right thing by appealing your PIP decision and applying for ESA, if you have any questions about these processes then our benefits advisors will be happy to help. 

    We also have employment advisors and employment support services who may be able to provide advice on jobseeking/working alongside your son's disability. 

    And finally, I'd agree with Geoark that changing his GP may be a good idea- you are always entitled to a second opinion. 

    Hope this helps and do keep us updated! 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.