Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Mortgage support

L_i_s_aL_i_s_a Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I would like some help or advice please!
I currently have a mortgage (on my own).
I always kept up with all payment but after losing my job, (teaching/behaviour) in 2015, due to illness and disability. I struggled badly! I have endometriosis, adenomyosis, fibromyalgia, severe depression, amongst other problems. Anyway eventually a lady from the job centre helped me get organised with claiming esa and pip.
I would please like to know if there is anyone else or advise about the mortgage for support ending in April.
This has been a life and home saver, they have been paying my interest on my mortgage for a little over a year. But I have been informed that this benefit is ending in April 2018. 
Help! I don't know what to do! I don't want to loose my home!


  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Lisa and welcome

    You should receive a letter explaining your options. The benefit is changing to a loan but you should get f2f advice from CAB or similar

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    @Debbie_Scope can you help at all?

    There is a lot of Info about SMI in this post, take a look through.
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi @L_i_s_a,

    You're right SMI is a life and home saver and it sounds as though it's really helped you since you fell ill.
    The benefit will change to a loan and a charge will be placed on your property. The loan isn't repayable until the property is sold or you're able to return to work. 

    I hope you've found the other discussions on this topic helpful so far. If you need more in-depth advice feel free to get in touch with me at the helpline.

    Best wishes
Sign in or join us to comment.