Mortgage support — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mortgage support

L_i_s_a
L_i_s_a Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I would like some help or advice please!
I currently have a mortgage (on my own).
I always kept up with all payment but after losing my job, (teaching/behaviour) in 2015, due to illness and disability. I struggled badly! I have endometriosis, adenomyosis, fibromyalgia, severe depression, amongst other problems. Anyway eventually a lady from the job centre helped me get organised with claiming esa and pip.
I would please like to know if there is anyone else or advise about the mortgage for support ending in April.
This has been a life and home saver, they have been paying my interest on my mortgage for a little over a year. But I have been informed that this benefit is ending in April 2018. 
Help! I don't know what to do! I don't want to loose my home!

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Lisa and welcome

You should receive a letter explaining your options. The benefit is changing to a loan but you should get f2f advice from CAB or similar

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @Debbie_Scope can you help at all?

There is a lot of Info about SMI in this post, take a look through.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @L_i_s_a,

You're right SMI is a life and home saver and it sounds as though it's really helped you since you fell ill.
    The benefit will change to a loan and a charge will be placed on your property. The loan isn't repayable until the property is sold or you're able to return to work. 

I hope you've found the other discussions on this topic helpful so far. If you need more in-depth advice feel free to get in touch with me at the helpline.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.