PIP High Court Decision — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP High Court Decision

SMW83 Member Posts: 97 Courageous
Hi all,

I’m sure many of you have seen that the Government have reversed thier decision to not allow claimants with Mental Health issues to claim the higher rate of the Mobility component of PIP.

Does anyone know of what points will now be required to be awarded the Enhanced Rate for claimants with mental heath issues, subsequent to this decision?


  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Dear SMW83
    I would think the same amount of points would apply to anyone which would be 8 points standard rate and 12 points enhanced rate.This applies to each component.
  • SMW83
    SMW83 Member Posts: 97 Courageous
    Ok. Thanks @debsidoo.

    I understand there are 2 components to the Mobility section with 10 points in the first of the two being the maximum someone suffering mental heath issues can recieve. I just wondered if this would change considering the ruling. 
  • janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Hi all 
    I got the impression it's not in immediate effect yet despite the decision 

  • missm
    missm Member Posts: 39 Connected
    i cant get my head around what it means am going daft 
  • SMW83
    SMW83 Member Posts: 97 Courageous
    @missm From what I can understand it’s supposedly going to make it easier for those with Mental Health issues to qualify for the Mobility component of PIP. However, what I can’t understand is that the maximum points that someone with said issues can achieve in this component (well without being physically disabled also) is ten points so I’m not entirely sure how it’s going to be made easier without the descriptiors being changed.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.