Hi, my name is MountainWheelchair! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is MountainWheelchair!

Options
MountainWheelchair
MountainWheelchair Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hello all. My daughter, who previously won the "Junior Adventurer of the Year" competition, was diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis last year and almost overnight found herself bound to a wheelchair. Unable to get into the great outdoors I watched as her love of life began to slowly ebb away. We looked at many existing wheelchair designs to help get her back into the mountains and reignite her passion but could not find any that were suitable for the type of off-road terrain which we had in mind. It seemed I had no option but to design and build one myself. The design process and early tests have gone incredibly well (see image below and for more information visit our mountain wheelchair blog). The reason I'm reaching out to the community is because over Christmas my daughter began to make a miraculous recovery and I'm unwilling to let go of the hope that she might be able to get back into the mountains under her own steam. I know that posting in a community like this in search of funding is frowned upon, but now that my daughter is getting better it does mean that a project which could have a positive impact on the lives of many others might now go unfulfilled. To help prevent this incredible project disappearing into the ether, please, take a look at our blog and if you think it’s worthwhile then get in touch. Any funding advice will be greatly received.

www.mountainwheelchair.com

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MountainWheelchair, and welcome! I have M.E myself and I'm so glad to hear that your daughter is doing well and has such a brilliant support system. Thanks for sharing your website with us, as you say we don't allow fundraising pages on the community, but do keep us updated with your story! 
  • MountainWheelchair
    MountainWheelchair Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Pippa. Thanks for the response. Ada is making incredible progress but finding the limitations is a learning curve for all of us. She's been off school today and all of last week but we did have an excellent time at the indoor climbing wall over the weekend. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.