Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Hi, my name is Gail2018! Income AND Contribution
I have been to the dentist and shown my benefit papers. They told me I was exempt. I had treatment and a month later a letter arrived with a penalty of £100+ £20.60 for the treatment. I rang the dentist and the NHS no. immediately, paid the £20.60 and appealed the £100. They refused and said it was my fault and I had to pay the £100 penalty, even after I explained the Dentist had seen all my papers. I’m told there are two types of this benefit, income based and contribution based. I never knew this, and neither did the dentists office. They have backed me up an said it is an honest mistake, but I’m really worried about having to pay £100, it will be such a struggle. Anyone else have this problem?
- 55.2K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 837 Work and employment
- 600 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 302 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 268 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.3K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.8K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 704 Chronic pain and pain management
- 718 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 772 Autism and neurodiversity
- 951 Mental health and wellbeing
- 314 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.