Hi, my name is Gail2018! Income AND Contribution — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is Gail2018! Income AND Contribution

I have been to the dentist and shown my benefit papers.  They told me I was exempt.  I had treatment and a month later a letter arrived with a penalty of £100+ £20.60 for the treatment.  I rang the dentist and the NHS no.  immediately, paid the £20.60 and appealed the £100.  They refused and said it was my fault and I had to pay the £100 penalty, even after I explained the Dentist had seen all my papers.  I’m told there are two types of this benefit, income based and contribution based.  I never knew this, and neither did the dentists office.  They have backed me up an said it is an honest mistake, but I’m really worried about having to pay £100, it will be such a struggle.  Anyone else have this problem?


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,212 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Gail and welcome

    The dentist should have been aware that only income related ESA enititles you to free treatment and other NHS services

    If you are on a low income you can apply for an HC2 certificate

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Gail2018
    Gail2018 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you CR.
    you would certainly think so wouldn’t you! ☹️
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,154 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not really a dentist receptionists responsibility to know which type allows for free treatment/prescriptions. This is down to the person claiming the benefit. It's your responsibility.
  • Gail2018
    Gail2018 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I realise that now Poppy.  But not helpful, a bit like ‘close the gate’ when the horse has bolted!  Won’t make that mistake again.  I’ve spoken to her an she didn’t know there were 2 types of this benefit.  Advice shouldn’t have been given to us in the first place.  The rules are changed so often it’s hard to keep up!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.